Manchester United’s clash with Brentford on Tuesday night is in jeopardy following a COVID-19 outbreak at Carrington.
A decision is expected to be made regarding whether a first-team squad will make the trip to London or if the fixture will be postponed.
Should the fixture go ahead, it’ll be a tricky test for Ralf Rangnick’s side.
The Red Devils have won three on the bounce in the Premier League including the 1-0 victory over Norwich City at the weekend which pushed them up to fifth in the table.
For Brentford, this will no doubt be a game that they’ll relish.
Thomas Frank’s side recorded a 2-1 win over Watford on Friday night to push them up to 10th position in the table and firmly on track for a decent season.
Brentford vs Manchester United: Date and time
The Premier League clash is scheduled to take place on Tuesday, December 14 at Brentford Community Stadium.
Kick-off is scheduled for 7.30pm UK time.
Victory could see United move into the top four.
Brentford vs Manchester United: talkSPORT commentary
The contest is due to be broadcast exclusively live on talkSPORT.
It will be part of Kick Off Live which gets underway from 7pm UK time.
Presented by Hugh Woozencroft, commentary will come from Sam Matterface and former Republic of Ireland midfielder Andy Townsend.
Brentford vs Manchester United: Team news
Ivan Toney is fit to feature for the Bees against Man United following his self-isolation period due to COVID-19.
Sergi Canos is also available following suspension, however, David Raya and Kristoffer Ajer are ruled out.
For United Edinson Cavani and Raphael Varane are in line to return, while Nemanja Matic, Juan Mata, and Aaron Wan-Bissaka are all in contention.
However, this availability is subject to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak at Carrington.
Brentford vs Manchester United: Match facts
- This is the first league meeting between Brentford and Manchester United since April 1947, a goalless draw at Griffin Park in the top-flight.
- Manchester United won the last time they faced Brentford in any competition, winning a League Cup tie 2-1 at Old Trafford in September 1975 thanks to goals from Lou Macari and Sammy McIlroy.
- Only Liverpool (57) have won a Premier League game in more different stadia than Manchester United (54), with Brentford Community Stadium the 60th different ground at which the Red Devils will have played in the competition.
- Brentford are unbeaten in their last 11 league games played on Tuesdays (W5 D6) since a 2-1 loss at Luton in February 2020.
- Manchester United are unbeaten in their last 12 Premier League away games against London sides since a 2-0 loss at Arsenal in January 2020. It’s their longest league run without defeat in the capital since a streak of 13 between December 2011 and December 2013
- Manchester United have won 34 of their 56 Premier League games played on Tuesdays, both the most wins and highest win rate (61%) of any side on this day of the week in the competition.
- Two of Brentford’s five Premier League victories this season have been courtesy of 90th minute winners, including their win against Watford last time out. The only side to have had more wins thanks to 90th minute goals in their maiden campaign in the competition were Wigan Athletic (3 in 2005-06).
- Manchester United have won both of their two league games so far under Ralf Rangnick 1-0. No manager in the club’s history has kept a clean sheet in each of their first three league games in charge of the Red Devils.
- All 10 of Brentford’s Premier League home goals have been scored by different players – they’re the first side in the history of the competition to see have their first 10 home goals be scored by 10 different players (excludes own goals).
- Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo has scored seven Premier League goals this season – it’s the most by a player aged 36 and above in a single Premier League campaign since Graham Alexander in 2009-10 (7), while the last such player to net more was Gary Speed in 2006-07 (8).
BETTING OFFER OF THE DAY
Get 20/1 with WILLIAM HILL for Liverpool to have 1+ shot on target v Newcastle on Thursday – CLAIM HERE
18+. Play Safe. New customers using EPL20. Mobile only. Applies to bets placed from 09:00 14 December 2021 until 20:00 16 December 2021. Max £1 bet at 20/1. Returns paid as 2 x £10 free bets (30 day expiry). Player & currency restrictions & terms apply. begambleaware.org