With its undulating copper roof, wrapping down over a series of concrete pavilions, this year’s Master Builders Supreme House of the Year is unashamedly modern.
Clive Barrington Construction took the top prize at this year’s Registered Master Builders House of the Year Awards and the Resene New Home Over $2 million award for the Christchurch home. The project has also won an award for architect Craig South.
The house captures the changing light, sun and shadows beneath the roof as it soars and swoops over three separate wings. The judges said the interplay between the freeform roof and the concrete creates “an architectural drama that enlivens this house inside and out”.
But it wasn’t just the unique design and functionality that awed the Master Builders judges. They were also in awe of the craftsmanship.
* Spectacular new home and Art Deco renovation scoop Canterbury Master Builders awards
* Auckland House of the Year might look like a simple box – but look closer
* Outdoor living is the winner in Nelson, Marlborough and West Coast Master Builders awards
“From the foundations to the precast concrete walls and complex roof structure, the accuracy of this build is clear.
“The curved plywood ceilings interact flawlessly with the window joinery, and the wall to floor finishes are of the highest standard. This building is inspiring; it features a clever design, meticulous attention to detail and an accurate construction.”
Earlier this month, architect Craig South won the TIDA New Zealand Architect of the Year award for the same project.
Supreme Renovation of the Year
WG de Gruchy Construction won the Supreme Renovation of the Year award and the Bunnings Renovation over $1 million category award, for the renovation of an 1890s home in St Marys Bay, Auckland.
The large heritage home had a two-level concrete addition plus roof garden designed by Jack McKinney Architects.
The judges were impressed by the combination of modern and traditional building skills, the “clear attention to detail” and “exceptional level of workmanship”.
“This was a very complex alteration and addition that required a lot of care to preserve the original bones,” they said.
“The renovations have enhanced the existing character whilst creating new, elegant, and modern spaces. The living space addition boasts a very tasteful mix of modern materials, creating a stunning, light-filled space. The exposed concrete is a real stand out, and has clearly been constructed with precision. This was a wonderful renovation to judge.”
Other national award winners:
- EHaus Manawatu: New Home $1.5 million – $2 million category, APL Sustainable Excellence Award, Feilding
- Holcroft Prestige: Carters New Home $1 million – $1.5 million, Hamilton
- Beeson Brother’s: Altus Window Systems New Home $750,000 – $1 million, Te Aroha
- Sinclair Builders: New Home $600,000 – $750,000, Christchurch
- D Stevens: New Home $450,000 – $600,000, Gisborne
- Greenland Homes: New Home up to $450,000, Christchurch
- Glover Homes: Renovation $500,000 – $1 million, Auckland
- Calley Homes: Renovation up to $500,000, Tauranga
- Trevor Hone Builders: Pink Batts Craftsmanship Award and Plumbing World Bathroom Excellence Award, Christchurch
- Home Trends Builders: Builders Own Home, Christchurch
- Urban Homes: Gib Show home, Cambridge
- Sentinel Homes Waikato: Volume/Group Housing New Home up to $450K, Waikato
- Pringle Homes: Volume/Group Housing New Home $450K – $750K, Canterbury
- LOC Construction: Master Build 10-year Guarantee Multi Unit (Apartments/Duplexes/Terrace Housing), Christchurch
- Gregg Builders: Kitchen Excellence Award, Christchurch
- Salter Builders: Outdoor Living Excellence Award, Tasman
Chief executive David Kelly says Registered Master Builders is proud to be showcasing New Zealand’s top residential builds.
“Master Builders have been building and renovating Aotearoa’s homes for over 130 years, in that time we have celebrated thousands of outstanding whares, built and transformed by our builders.
“These houses are more than just bricks and timber; they are places where Kiwis live, create memories and connect to. Master Builders are building the quality homes that Kiwis will live in for generations to come.”